The page you are currently looking at is my day-to-day blog. There are others! You can navigate to them by using the links on the right hand side of this page, and then between them in a similar fashion. Not An Ivory Tower is a collection of some of my writings deriving from my post-doctoral research with an inter-faith seminary in the States; Celebrating the Year offers thoughts, short liturgies, prayers, food suggestions, and decorative ideas for various festivals, times and seasons; Tro Breizh is the beginning of a devotional calendar of Breton saints; Threshold contains templates/scripts which can be personalised (with my help if you wish) for such occasions as births, betrothals, marriages, new homes, farewells, and partings; and Finding Balance is a series of workshops based on the chakra system. Explore, browse, enjoy - and please do send me your feedback via the comments boxes!

Sunday 2 September 2018

Brain Training: lobes and exercises

First thing in the morning, 07.00, after a disturbed night with a dog suffering the after-effects of scavenging (!) is not, unsurprisingly, my most alert time. However, just following four o'clock tea was even worse! I may, of course, not be doing my self justice, as I'm still re-learning the various exercises. So perhaps I'll leave it a few days before assessing the time of day/brain alertness continuum again :-)

Meanwhile, I've been doing a bit of revision into how the brain works. There's a nice little 8-slide slide-show here: https://www.mayoclinic.org/brain/SLS-20077047



The programme I've devised for this month begins with the brain training app, and then adds in words (Scrabble), numbers (Sudoku), logic (logic puzzles) and strategy (learn to play chess). It occurs to me that these actually have most bearing on the frontal lobe, which deals with thinking, planning, organising, problem solving, short-term memory and movement. So, what can I do to stimulate the parietal, occipital, and temporal lobes of the brains, which deal, respectively, with sensory information (taste, temperature, touch, spatial awareness, and so on), images from the eyes (and those stored in the memory), and more sensory information (from smells, tastes, and sounds/language)?

For the parietal lobe, one exercise I've found is to get someone else to collect a variety of small items (such as coins, pen/pencil, paper clip, button, screws, spoon, cotton balls, dice, and keys) onto a tray or table top; the person doing the exercise then has to identify them by touch alone (eyes shut or blindfolded). For the taste part of this, a number of edible items could be collected and identified by taste alone - but you need to trust the person putting the bits together for that!! Another idea for the parietal lobe is mental rotation exercises, such as Tetris, so I'll get that uploaded on my Kindle and add it in.




For the occipital lobe, the best 'exercise' I can find is simply reading - which is a pleasure anyway, so great, that's added in.



And finally, for the temporal lobe... I'm not finding anything in particular recommended, other working on the memory (which is in the Brain Training app anyway) and singing - so ear-plugs in, y'all! But given that it has to do with smells and tastes as well as sounds, I guess that's as good a reason as any to treat my self to a new perfume... and eat the odd treat?!
















No comments:

Post a Comment