The page you are currently looking at is my day-to-day blog. There are others! You can navigate to them by using the links on the right hand side of this page, and then between them in a similar fashion. Not An Ivory Tower is a collection of some of my writings deriving from my post-doctoral research with an inter-faith seminary in the States; Celebrating the Year offers thoughts, short liturgies, prayers, food suggestions, and decorative ideas for various festivals, times and seasons; Tro Breizh is the beginning of a devotional calendar of Breton saints; Threshold contains templates/scripts which can be personalised (with my help if you wish) for such occasions as births, betrothals, marriages, new homes, farewells, and partings; and Finding Balance is a series of workshops based on the chakra system. Explore, browse, enjoy - and please do send me your feedback via the comments boxes!

Tuesday 27 June 2017

Manning the barricades?

The William and I have recently re-watched a couple of films. The first was The Way, an adaptation of Jack Hitt's book about walking the Camino de Santiago, something we would love to do, although nights in dormitories don't much appeal! It's a very good film, with the themes not only of what pilgrimage can mean these days, but also of loss, grief, and resolution. I think I got more from it this second time around, and I do recommend it.



However, I don't recommend the other film we watched, or rather three films telling one story: The Hobbit. Read the book instead!

But it was interesting (to me anyway!) that during the scene of Thorin barricading himself and his small group of followers inside the mountain, after the destruction of Lake Town and with lines of refugees heading his way for aid, what was uppermost in my mind was a post-Brexit Britain, closing its doors to outsiders. Literally outsiders. Ordinary people in need, good and bad, hard workers and slackers, of different nationalities, faiths, colours, cultures... I saw in my mind's eye the lines of people heading for the Mediterranean, piling into tiny overcrowded boats, and as like as not drowning; more lines of more people walking across Europe, to be turned away or caged inside camps within sight of their goal.

In the film, my sympathy is with Bilbo, absailing down the rocks to get to the Men and Elves, who, not entirely surprisingly, are anticipating armed struggles. Bilbo hopes to broker a deal between the various parties with the prized Arkenstone as the lure. The Arkenstone was one of the three Silmarils, in whose hearts burned the light of Valinor; but those who desired to possess them became tainted by arrogance and the lust for power.

Call them High Fantasy or fairy tales, un-Disneyfied ones rarely end happily, and I fear we're living in the reality of one now. Or am I just being pessimistic? (But where's Bilbo when you need him?)


No comments:

Post a Comment