The page you are currently looking at is my day-to-day blog. There are others! You can navigate to them by using the links on the right hand side of this page, and then between them in a similar fashion. Not An Ivory Tower is a collection of some of my writings deriving from my post-doctoral research with an inter-faith seminary in the States; Celebrating the Year offers thoughts, short liturgies, prayers, food suggestions, and decorative ideas for various festivals, times and seasons; Tro Breizh is the beginning of a devotional calendar of Breton saints; Threshold contains templates/scripts which can be personalised (with my help if you wish) for such occasions as births, betrothals, marriages, new homes, farewells, and partings; and Finding Balance is a series of workshops based on the chakra system. Explore, browse, enjoy - and please do send me your feedback via the comments boxes!

Friday 2 November 2018

Mind changed?

November already, which, despite the change of the clocks (for the penultimate time here in France), and the misty - and occasionally slightly frosty - mornings, feels more like early October, with strawberries still ripening in the raised beds and now crocosmia's coming into bloom in the tiny front flower border. 


Halloween was duly celebrated, with a fair in Carhaix, and the streets full of costumed children - and a few grown ups! - politely calling at the rows of shops for sweets. We were at the opticians, who ran out! Back at home, later that evening, three youngsters called on us and were duly given a handful of sweets, since we were better prepared this year than last, when we only had mandarins to offer! Mind you, I think the mandarins were preferable - unless you're a fan of acid drops!



My mind-changing exercises of October went ok, and the final week of assessing each day was salutary, not least since, both by accident and design, quite a few of my mornings particularly didn't follow the usual routine - and I enjoyed that they didn't. I think my non-dominant left hand could get better at tooth and hair brushing - but it's just easier and quicker to use my habituated right hand. But I'm continuing to sniff some lovely essential oils morning and evening. So far my 'favourite' in terms of feeling brightened up is Sweet Orange. Ylang ylang was a bit musty and reminded me of a perfume or some other produce but I can't remember quite what. And lavender - this week's fragrance - unfortunately reminds me of a time many years ago, when a couple of us felt and/or were sick on the return journey of a Brownie's Day Out to Frith in North Wales, and a no doubt well-meaning woman wafted a bottle of lavender around. I'm glad I don't get that association from the plant itself!

Health-giving is the focus of this final month of Autumn, and having just got a couple of new vegan recipe books, I'm looking forward to adding some new meals to our usual menu plan. Watch this space for new favourites! Just wish there was a wider choice of veg here - and that fruit and veg lasted longer! Never thought I'd be craving kale and edamame beans!! :-)


Nov: Health Giving

Wk 10: 2-9 Nov

Eat wholegrains, soy beans, pumpkin seeds, walnuts & other nuts, blueberries, tomatoes, eggs, blackcurrants, broccoli, brown rice, oats, peas, potatoes, spinach, yoghurt, avocados, kale, dark chocolate (but only a little!) & sage. Drink green tea
Wk 11: 9-16 Nov

Exercise: cross-training - build up to 20 mins x 3/week
Wk 12: 16-23 Nov

Read: join an online book club & write every day
Wk 13: 23-30 Nov

Rest & sleep: learn new relaxation techniques



No comments:

Post a Comment